Square Enix has updated the Steam version of Chrono Trigger with even more user interface changes that affect some of the game’s menus. Unfortunately, the ability to rebind buttons for controllers has been delayed to the next update in July, and Square Enix shares that they need more time to adjust the game so that this feature can work well with Chrono Trigger’s many minigames.
We’ve been chronicling Chrono Trigger’s updates in video form. You can compare how the game has changed over time below.
Here are the full patch notes from the Chrono Trigger page on Steam:
• Changes to the menu UI
1. We’ve changed the user interface (operation method and screen layout) of the following screens to make it more comfortable to play with controller or keyboard.
2. Menu screen
3. Title screen (including title menu)
4. You can select interface either “gamepad/keyboard” or “touch panel/mouse” from “settings” in the menu.
5. Title screen is the same regardless of your settings.
6. The UI updates that we first outlined in patch #2 are now complete as of this patch. However, we will continue to keep adjusting the UI where necessary.
• Other adjustments and revisions
1. In the settings menu, “Movement” has been removed, based on UI changes.
2. Small bugs are fixed