Square Enix revealed the next installment in their HD-2D Octopath series and full sequel to the original, Octopath Traveler II. The series will be expanding to multiple platforms with a release on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC via Steam in addition to Nintendo Switch and is currently available for pre-order on select platforms.
Octopath Traveler II follows up on the release of the 2018 original that promises to take the series into greater heights. Players will explore the world of Solistia and experience the adventures of eight new travelers in a new era.
New and returning gameplay features and elements include:
- Break & Boost Battle System – Players must act strategically to exploit enemy weaknesses to “Break” them in order to inflict more damage, and “Boost” their travelers to enhance their abilities.
- Path Actions – Players can interact with NPCs throughout the world in various ways by using actions unique to each character. Path Actions will vary depending on the protagonist and whether it is day or night.
- Brand-New Story and Characters – Players can embark on a grand adventure in the new land of Solistia and experience the intertwined stories of eight new travelers: Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary).
- Day/Night Cycle – The townscapes and Path Actions available to each character will change depending on if it is night or day, creating more opportunities for exploration and discovery.
- Latent Power – A new battle element in which characters can unleash a powerful ability once the ability’s gauge fills up during combat.
- Crossed Paths – Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, further intertwining their narratives.
Octopath Traveler II will release in several flavors. In addition to a standard physical and digital edition, A Collector’s Edition set is available to pre-order from the Square Enix Store. It includes the base game, a bust figurine set of the eight protagonists, a 44-page artbook and a mini soundtrack CD titled “Extended Battle tracks.
Catch the announcement trailer below.