UPDATE: Square Enix has confirmed Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age will be making its way to the West as well exclusively for PlayStation 4. As an added bonus, the game will be made playable on the E3 2016 show floor. The company has also released an English version trailer, which we’ve linked along with an official run down of the game’s features and staff listing below.
This version of XII, which has been rumored for what feels like forever in numerous ways, is based off Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System and will feature the usual tricks to expect from a HD remaster. These include higher resolution character models, cut-scenes and backgrounds plus higher-quality audio from what was found on the PlayStation 2 version in 2006.
It’ll also contain dual-audio English and Japanese voice-acting plus the option to switch between the original BGM for the game and a newly-remastered BGM for the HD version ala Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD, plus shorter loading times, an auto-save feature and a turbo mode.
The team in charge of FFXII: Age of Zodiac‘s also been announced. Find it in full below, but it confirms that producer and co-director Hiroyuki Ito is involved in the project as a supervisor.
- Producer – Hiroaki Kato
- Director – Takashi Katano
- Art Direction – Takahashi Ryotaro (CGStyle Co., Ltd.)
- Technical Direction – Iwamura Shizuki
- Game Design – Jun Akiyama
- Composer – Hitoshi Sakimoto (Basis Cape)
- Music Editor – Kawamori Yoshi
- Sound Effects Direction – Tomohiro Yajima
- Movie Direction – Ikki Igomori
- Supervisors – Hiroyuki Ito, Hiroshi Minagawa
ORIGINAL: Square Enix has unveiled that Final Fantasy XII is being remastered for the PlayStation 4 system. Titled Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, the game is a high-definition remaster of Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System, a re-release of Final Fantasy XII with added content and improvements released exclusively in Japan back in 2007.
Packaged within the remastered title are a number of improvements detailed over the official site (translation courtesy of Gematsu):
- High-resolution upgrades for backgrounds, character models, and all 2D parts including fonts
- High-resolution upgrades for movie scenes
- Introduction of current generation visual expression
- 7.1ch surround support
- High-quality voice support
- English and Japanese voices (switch between them in the game configuration)
- Original and newly re-recorded official soundtrack (switch between them in the game configuration)
- Shorter load times
- Auto-save functionality added
- Improved high-speed mode and improved play time operability during high-speed mode
Check out the trailers and gallery to view the game in all its glory. You can also visit the game’s official site by clicking here.
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is set to release for PlayStation 4 worldwide in 2017.