In the 63rd Letter from the Producer Live broadcast, Final Fantasy XIV director/producer Naoki Yoshida and global community manager Toshio Murouchi revealed the fifth and final major update to follow the Shadowbringers expansion.
Titled “Death Unto Dawn,” it will be divided into two parts releasing this Spring, with part 1 releasing on April 13th, 2021.
We’ve summarized the major information below — check it out!
Death Unto Dawn – Trailer
Patch 5.5x Content & Features
- Patch 5.5 Part 1 will release on April 13th, 2021.
- Patch 5.5 Part 2 will release at the end of May 2021.
- The main scenario quest will be divided in two parts.
- A new instanced dungeon will be added called Paglth’an.
- The final chapter to The Sorrow of Werlyt will be added.
- A new trial The Cloud Deck (Diamond Weapon) will be added and will include an Extreme difficulty version.
- YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse Chapter 3 will be added to continue the NieR Automata collaboration. The title of the third alliance raid accompanying it is The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach.
- Job adjustments will be performed. They will be smaller in scope with larger changes reserved for the upcoming Endwalker expansion.
- The Feast‘s eighteenth season will end and the nineteenth will begin.
- Patch 5.55 will update Save the Queen with new content.
- The current Unreal Trial will be swapped with a new one.
- Crafters and gatherers will get more challenging expert recipes, maps opened via the gathering log will indicate areas where gathering points appear [Fig. 1]. A listing of fish to be release at fishing holes will be added. [Fig. 2]
- The Firmament will periodically hold a Skyrise Celebration in honor of its restoration.
- A new Custom Delivery client will be added: Charlemend de Durendaire.
- Triple Triad will adjust the use of 4-star cards in decks and acquisition rates will be adjusted. A reward will be added for obtaining all Triple Triad cards in Patch 5.55.
- Explorer Mode will be updated with level 70 dungeons. Level sync and item level sync can be disabled and instruments will be enabled.
- New indicators for bonuses while Ocean Fishing will be updated.
- A new instrument will be added to the Performance feature in Patch 5.55.
- A reward for obtaining all of the trial mounts in the 5.x patch series will be added.
- New prizes will be available at the Manderville Gold Saucer.
- Hotbar slots can now be saved when editing an active set of Blue Mage actions.
- Achievement rewards can be directly accepted from the achievement list.
- Collision detection will be updated.
- Loading times will be sped up on all platforms.
- An option to use the high-resolution UI will be added to the Windows version.
- A pricey new mount will be available to purchase in-game using gil.
- Arrows showing which direction the target is facing will be added to all target rings. [Fig. 3]
The Cloud Deck (Diamond Weapon)
The team shows off The Cloud Deck opening cutscene and arena. The target marker has been updated to indicate which way the target is facing. It looks like you can also fall off the edge…
Ishgardian Restoration Update
The Firmament will periodically hold a Skyrise Celebration in honor of its restoration. During these periods, the locals will hold Fêtes. These celebrations will take place approximately every 2 days. First, a 24 hour celebration takes place followed by a 2-day break, followed by another 24-hour celebration. The fêtes themselves will be held every 2 hours, so 12 within a given celebration period.
Fêtes will be competitive events for crafters and gatherers similar to FATEs. Earn Fête Presents depending on your participation rating–with fabulous items inside.
PlayStation 5 Version
The PlayStation 5 version of Final Fantasy XIV will feature faster loading times, and will be 4K display compatible. You can choose between 4K (2160p), WQHD (1440p), or Full HD (1080p) resolutions. Higher resolution UI assets have been added to accomodate these higher resolutions.
Haptic feedback via the DualSense controller will be added, as well as additional trophies and 3D audio support.
The Open Beta is planned to begin on Tuesday, April 13th, once maintenance for Patch 5.5 concludes. For current PS4 players, you can download the PS5 Upgrade Edition. New players should download the PS5 version of the Free Trial. Details will be posted to the Lodestone later. Yoshida advises that you save your UI customization server-side first!
The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach (YoRHa Dark Apocalypse)
The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach is the third and final alliance raid duty to accompany the YoRHa Dark Apocalypse collaboration with NieR Automata. New gear rewards will be added, and you’ll be able to collect one item per week.
Unreal Trials: The Whorleater
The next Unreal Trial will be versus Leviathan aboard The Whorleater. This will replace The Navel with the release of Patch 5.5.
Save the Queen & Resistance Weapons (5.55)
The final chapter of “Save the Queen” will introduce a new battlefield” Zadnor. The Resistance Rank cap will increase from 15 to 26. New skirmishes and critical engagements will be added. The Dalriada, new large-scale assault (max 48 players) will be added and elements of progression beyond rank 25 will be added.
“On the boarder with occupied Dalmasca, in the northeast of Bozja stand the “sunken plateaus”–Zadnor. It is here that the IVth Legion will make its stand–the battle for Bozja reaching its bloody climax.“
There will be a way to increase mount speed in Save the Queen areas in Patch 5.5 and skirmishes and critical engagements will be adjusted for fewer participants. The availability of large-scale assaults such as Castrum Lacus Litore will be adjusted and your chance of being selected for duels will increase if you are not selected. Delburum Reginae (Savage) will be adjusted to allow between 24 and 48 participants.
To unlock you will need to complete Patch 5.4’s main scenario quest and the Save the Queen scenario through Patch 5.45.
Resistance Weapons will receive a final step where upgrade quests will become available upon unlocking Zadnor during the 5.55 storyline. Stats will be slightly better than weapons obtained in Eden’s Promise (Savage). Once one has been upgraded, the process for upgrading further weapons will differ.
Ultimate Trial (6.1)
A new Ultimate-difficulty trial is planned for the first major update following the release of the Endwalker expansion. The team showed a sneak peek, which seems to take place in The Vault.
New Housing & Fashion Items
New Minions & Mounts
Fan Festival – Around the World
A digital Fan Festival “Around the World” will be held on May 15th and 16th. Commemorative items you will be able to purchase include an 8-player Lunar Whale mount, as well as Final Fantasy IV-themed minions.
Various orchestrion rolls from various albums will also be available to purchase. [Fig. 4]
The team is planning for all stage events to be broadcast live, with digital activities available to enjoy online and in-game. Most stage events will have English interpretations.
Day 1 (May 15) stage events will feature:
• Keynote Address
• “Welcome to Naoki’s Room”
• “How Do You Like Hydaelyn?”
• Development Panel
• Piano performance featuring Keiko
Day 2 (May 16) stage events will feature:
• Letter from the Producer LIVE
• “Glamoured to Life Showcase”
• Live Q&A
• “Flashback with the Cast”
• Band performance featuring The Primals
In-game activities will include a Fanfest version of the Moogle Treasure Trove. Digital fan festival-themed frames & stickers will be added to group pose for a limited time.
- Final Fantasy XIV has surpassed 22 million players.
- Patch 5.5 note reading will broadcast Monday, April 12th @ 11:00pm PDT.
- Eorzea Café will open for a limited time in Nagoya, Japan — from April 28th through June 30th.
- Fan Festival commemorative appeal for the EU store will now include the Sin Eater & Hades T-shirts in the EU line-up.
- Limted Edition Panasonic SoundSlayer Gaming Speaker will be made available in Europe.